Friday, July 3, 2009

From Ocean to Tummy

So, I went snorkeling/spear fishing for the first time today. It was a lot of fun except that I ended up throwing up three times (I get sea sick really bad). I saw many fish that I would have loved to catch and cook up for dinner, but unfortunately I wasn't very skilled in the art of stabbing fast moving objects. Luckily I found a very slow moving animal crawling around on the coral, and because I decided I didn't want to go back to shore as the only loser that didn't catch anything, I stabbed it. Well, after I got a black smoke screen I decided that maybe I shouldn't have done that. I have to tell you that I am a firm believer in only killing what you are willing to eat, so I took it home and cooked it up. Oh, I haven't mentioned it yet, it was an octopus. I have had octopus before and it was always very chewy, and not necessarily my cup-o-tea, but I stand by my motto, "Do it for the stories!" So, below is the photographed journey, "From Ocean to Tummy". Enjoy.
The Victory Pose.

I feel like I got jipped. This guy is one leg shy. I should have gotten a discount for that right?

Oh, and he inked me. The nerve.

I showed him. Simmering it is supposed to make the meat tender instead of all chewy.

Keira wanted to help. I was surprised she even touched them.

Grilling it up!

The Finished Product

Not too bad.

Even Keira liked it. Ok, she didn't. In fact, right as I took this picture that piece fell to the floor and Keira began a long series of sincere gagging reflexes. It was quite amusing.

Finished

I have to admit, the recipe I chose was a Greek one, and it wasn't that great. It was more of a sour flavor, and I think maybe a savory or salty flavor would have been much better. However, the octopus itself was great. I didn't know that octopus was supposed to be tender. I guess that simmering worked after all. On a side note, the smell and sight of this octopus caused Tricia to revisit her morning sickness, and has exiled her to the upstairs bedrooms. She really can't handle the smell because of her pregnancy induced super nose. Sorry babe. I did all my dishes.

1 comment:

Cammy Patton said...

I am not even pregnant anymore and I feel like I can smell it... pretty gross... but great determination!