Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Oonie and Me

So this goes out to Mizkylie. It will probably disappoint. I am sorry. You see Oonie and I didn't hang out a whole lot when we were old enough to get into some funny trouble, and when we did it was usually with a larger group. For instance, I remember driving around neighborhoods stealing children's toys that had been left out in their front yards. By the end of the night we felt bad, so we would take all of the toys back. The only problem was we knew which houses we had taken from, but we couldn't exactly remember what toy we had taken. We ended up thinking of it as the used toy exchange program. I do remember Tyson running up to a large Fisher price type club house with slide and all to put on the top of the car and drive away, but just as he reached the loot, the guy sitting in his living room looked right out of the window and saw him. We took off pretty quick. There was also a phase where we would take hood ornaments off of cars that looked over burdened by the extra piece of fake metal hanging on to the grill. I think that came about more because of his cousin Mario. He did have a really crappy little red hatch back that had a very nice logo on the front.

I also remember a time we had caught some snakes but they got loose in Oonie's car so we lit about 5 smoke bombs in it to try and smoke the snakes out. It didn't work, but the car looked cool. Most of my memories of Oonie stem back to early child hood where he and his brother Ronnie would tell me that they owned every single Star Wars toy that was available, but that their mom wouldn't let them play with them so they had to play with mine. We had a lot of fun with those.

I guess I do have to attribute my driving skills to Oonie. We got into many car chases which were to this day some of the best times I have ever had in a car. He would take me to empty parking lots and let me drive his car around. And on one occasion, before I even had my driver's permit, I dropped his girlfriend on her head (I was trying a country dance lift) and they decided to take her to the hospital. He wanted to be in the car with her so he told me to follow him by myself in his car. He was so trusting. I had only driven once before. Well, I only made it to the first stop light until I lost him, then I got lost trying to get back home. I do remember Oonie getting my back at Wheeler Farm on country dance nights when some K-Mart Cowboys would try to pick fights with us.

Oonie was always good with stories too. For along time I thought he had a pet purple hippo living in his basement. I also thought that his house was robbed and they found finger prints all over the house. He also had me and another neighborhood kid searching all over the neighborhood looking for a wolf that had "terrorized" us at a sleep over. Either I was a very gullible little boy, or he was just that good at telling stories. I also believe that I was with him when we stole his girlfriend's dad's Cheech and Chong atrack tapes to play in my Ford Ranger (which had an atrack player). It at the tapes, so we opened up the case and shoved all the tape back in, not even taking the time to roll it up, and then we taped it shut so it looked like it was still good. You have to understand this dad was a very scary man (although he seemed to like me pretty good. Maybe because I wasn't dating his daughter)

And that is the best I have right now. They are more of "you have to be there" type moments, but they are legendary to me. I hope this satisfies your hunger for Oonie stories. I will keep my thoughts going to find an experience that is worth of a single post dedicated to the sole adventure. Until next time, good luck in life. (you're going to need it.)

1 comment:

mizkylie said...

OMG! That did not dissappoint at all! I had tears streaming down my face and Oonie is sitting here explaining the stories into further detail. LOL, You are a great story teller. I especially liked the part where you dropped his girlfriend on her head. (thanks for putting that in there:) Oonie is a nerd, I love it! Thanks again Gumby, I love to hear these!