Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bend, Don't Break

I AM OLD! (No offense to those of you who are older than me.) I thought that when you got older you would just gradually get less and less able to play sports. Apparently, you actually just wake up one morning and your athletic career is over. Here I am playing some football just 5 months ago. I am number 51 on the black team (the guy getting pulled to the ground at the end).

Shortly after this game I hyper-extended my left knee and the doctors put me on a 30 day physical training waiver (meaning I couldn't do anything to aggravate it for 30 days). When I was finally completely back to 100% I decided that maybe I was too old to be playing football. I mean I am no Brett Favre and going to play well into my 80's. And besides, Favre does this for a living so he is always keeping in shape and has an army of trainers and physical therapists that keep his parts working. As for me, my joints hate me and have decided to go on strike. Like I said, I decided that "tackle" football was too much for my old body so I jumped onto a flag football team. In our second game I hyper-extended my right knee. Son-of-a... I can't believe this! I went to the doctor and again they wanted to put me on another 30 day waiver but this time I was smart. I told him that I didn't want one (I didn't want to admit that my body couldn't keep up). So, I can't run, but I can still stand on the offensive line and push people around. Maybe I will post a video of that later. I guess what I am really trying to say is my body has finally started to take its payback on me for all of those years jumping off of 2 story houses and playing tackle football without pads, and for not working out like I should. My knees have taken the ball and gone home because they don't want to play anymore. I have started to look into knee replacements or getting myself a Robo-Knee, but until then I guess I will just be hanging out on the side lines or hobbling around on the field. Unless, I pick up another sport like golf, ping pong, or Foosball. I don't think even I could injure myself playing any of those. On a side note, my good buddy Jed did that P90X and he turned out o.k. so maybe I will try that. I will keep you posted on the results.

5 comments:

Kristen M. Egbert said...

Mike and I have been doing the P90X and it is kicking our butts but it does get you into pretty good shape. Hope you remember all those stupid running drills cause the trainer in these dvds LOVES them

Mike said...

No we have been doing the insanity workout!!! We should start our Foosball team and go on the pro circuit. Just don't let our mom's know about it, cause they think Foosball is the devil's game!!!!

Cammy Patton said...

No, basically there is no hope. We haven't done p90X for about a month...sorry to be the one to break the news :)

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ, I think you of all people could hurt yourself playing golf, ping-pong and even foosball. Maybe you should take up knitting. :) Or there is a saying that goes "those who can't do...teach" Teach little league football or something!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and something I thought you would like to know, Cottonwoods football team is undefeated as of a month ago! Crazy huh?