Friday, June 6, 2008

Drive or Park Wherever You Want

Yes Michael, it is finally time to answer your question. I am sorry that I have left you in suspense for so long. I can't imagine how you have managed to go about your life not knowing the answer to your question. You wrote, "I have a question for you...Why do they name Parkways, parkways, and driveways, driveways? Cause you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway. It doesn't make sense. Answer that oh space cadet." Well, in order to answer your question I must take you on a trip down history lane. So, pack your bags, because here we go.

Back in the day, and I mean way back in the day, there was (and still is) the word "Parc". This word pretty much means an enclosed area. This has morphed into the word "Park", which still means the same thing but has more connotations to a place that has been beautified with shrubberies and flowers and such. A Parkway, is a way to the park. It was a road that goes to a park, then it changed its meaning again to a road that has shrubberies and "beautiful" landscaping along the road. Next time you are on a parkway, take a moment to enjoy the shrubberies. Being in the military, I also know that the fenced-in areas where the military stored their vehicles and munitions were called parks. When they would leave their vehicles in these parks, they would say they were "parking" it. As these WWII vets got out of the military and continued using the term "park" as civilians, it caught on and that is why we know "park" our car.

Driveways in ancient history used to be a lot longer than they are now. So, you actually had to drive on them in order to get to the house. These days, you still drive on them a bit before you park, and if you park in the garage, then you only drive on them. I know that personally I have parked on a parkway and driven on a driveway. And with that I hope your question was answered adequately.

Thank you for your question Michael, and I look forward to your next one (because I know you are confused most of the time, so I know you have many more questions to ask.)

3 comments:

Mike said...

Wow, really, you stuped so low that you used Microsoft paint to give me a nerd outfit. Nice, if you want me to post again for you then the paint has to stop. You can't put fabricated, falsification and just wrong pictures to distort the truth. And space cadet At. where the heck do you get this crazy off the wall information. Don't say wikepedia, cause alot of that is not completely true. Ok, Why is the pen more mightier than the sword?

Mike said...

So I have to apoligize for my lack of blogging for your entertainment. I want to build your suspense. I also have not had the time to get some new pictures on my lap top. So to build the suspense give me a week from friday and I'll post some new pics up. I'll give you a hint, it is going to be the Astros vs. Red Sox game. Its a game of the century, with a bias view. So to keep you entertained with your mindless thought process here are some questions for you to keep you busy. On a traffic signal, why is the red on the top and the green on the bottom? And why over the door of an elevator, in most cases but not all, the arrow up is generally green and the arrow down is red? So rack your brain with mindless thought process and research and I'll get back to my blogging!

Mike said...

Hey i need assistance on how to crop down my picture size with out losing alot of the image for my header on my blog. Will you assist me please, kind sir.